Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Craziness in a Classroom...

Today my friend Mariah and I were placed in Mr. Emmanuel’s fourth grade classroom, the class he described as the worst behaved in all of Manenberg Primary School. I believe him. The students were absolutely wild, they did not listen to the teacher and would literally run in and out of the classroom whenever they pleased. Students were crawling under the tables, up the walls, talking, yelling, screaming, just being absolutely crazy. I honestly have no idea how any learning can be accomplished at all, there is constant noise and movement. Mr. Emmanuel would be talking to us about how stressful and about the trouble he gets in for his lack of discipline and he would start whacking a wooden stick on the table or scream at the top of his lungs to get the kids to settle down. Even though corporeal punishment is illegal in South Africa, Mr. Emmanuel, other teachers, and even administrators would spank the children when they got too out of line. This type of thing is extremely difficult to watch but it really isn't my place to judge the teachers and attempt to show them the "right" way. I understand how very frustrating to have no control over the classroom, especially with such behavioral and emotional issues in so many students and can only hope to assuage the problem by caring for and loving the students.

After almost quitting his job right then and there because of a fear of a nervous breakdown, Mr. Emmanuel left for the day to attend a workshop on autism. He decided to dismiss the most rowdy and misbehaving students early and then Mariah and I were on our own with the rest of the class. It was a challenge to say the least and unlike anything I ever experienced in any classroom before. No matter what we tried the students would not listen, there was constantly a loud chatter amongst them. We tried turning off the lights, raising our hands, clapping, and yelling, nothing would work. We were attempting to help the students read their English books but there was no way we could work with the entire group, they all just ran all over the place and would not focus. I wish I could have time to work one-on-one with the students because one little boy said he really wanted to learn to read English and that he wanted me to help him do so. I feel like many of the students would respond in the same way if they had the chance to do so in a supportive and encouraging environment

In the end many of the students left early but we were able to get some of them to write their names and draw pictures before going home. It may have been a simple task but many of the students seemed to enjoy it and I think it helped give them some sense of pride when I praised them on their work. When it came time for dismissal, I received hugs from the remaining students and requests for my return tomorrow. They may be a tough bunch but I love this class already, and I hope that with a few (major) tweaks these students can be turned into the greatest fourth grade class Cape Town has ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment