Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The strike finally ended and last week I was thankfully able to return to Manenberg Primary to continue with my service. Being back in Mr. Emmanuel’s class has been wonderful and wonderfully challenging. The kids seemed happy to see me back and it really was great to see them too. They are still as crazy as ever, I have spent the past week and a half being jumped on, breaking up fights, losing my voice trying to get forty children to be quiet at one time, getting locked in a classroom, reading aloud, teaching English, getting hugs, and dancing to the sound of the class’s impromptu choir concerts. A wide range of experiences to say the least!

Yesterday one of the seemingly more troubled boys – he has tried to stab a classmate with scissors, constantly has his hands on other boys, and throws chairs out of anger – wrote “27” on my hand. To those unfamiliar with the gangs of Cape Town, the 27s are one of the largest in the colored townships. I asked the little boy if he knew anyone in the gang and he first said that he himself is a member and then told me that his father is in fact involved in the gang. It broke my heart that someone so young would, if not actually a member himself, would have such close and intimate contact with someone who is. Even before the gang reference, I had a feeling that this little boy had a rough home life and thus made an effort to hug him each day and just show him a little extra love and attention. At first he didn’t understand why I would want to hug him and was very resistant to the whole thing. As I was leaving the classroom to go home this afternoon though he came running out after me and simply asked “my hug?” It was a great way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment